Hone ID # BG0013 – Apache Black Gila finishing hone. (Extremely limited offering. Hard to find good stone for cutting).
Creator’s comments on the Black Gila hone:
I just want to inform my customers that my pricing reflects the scarcity of this stone and difficulty preparing such a hard stone (cutting; lapping takes a long time). I hand lap these with grit powder, some hones take an hour of hand-lapping to get them perfectly flat. As for scarcity, I have searched “out in the field” and am not finding good specimens suitable for cutting; which means I will have to search a wider area–more search time out in the desert. I will definitely continue to search for more varieties of this stone, but the offerings will be scant. If I have some available, you had better snap them up because it could be a long time before I have more to offer.–I have no way of knowing what I will find.
Notes about this hone:
– Should be able to produce hht4+ with proper honing.
– Do not apply too much pressure because you could over-hone, causing you to start from square one again. This stone is powerful.
– This particular variety is of a greenish hue (likely serpentine inclusions; which gives the stone it’s greenish color).
– Since this is a natural stone, it may have microscopic fissures that have zero affect on honing. I checked things out closely and there is nothing of concern.
– Hand-lapped to usable, flat state; though you can always lap more to suit your needs.
– Razor-tested and surface feels very smooth.
Size: 6″ x 3.25″ x 5/8″
Weight: 1 lb. 4.2 oz.